High End File Format Options
- PDF/X1-a Preferred
- TIFF/IT-P1 (FP, CT, LW, or FP, CT, HC)
- Scitex Native (CT and LW)
- Scitex.job (CT and NLW)
- Scitex Handshake (CT and LW)
- Require LW Files at 72 resolution (dots per
- Require CT files at 12 resolution (dots per
- Note: The CT resolution should always be
equally divisible into the LW resolution
Desktop File Formats
- QuarkXPress up to version 7
- Adobe InDesign up to CS5.5
- PDF/X-1a is preferred
Avoid supplying vector art programs such as
Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia Freehand as final page files.
Instead, save the art file as EPS and import it into Quark or InDesign.
Additional File Specifications for Offset
- DCS Bitmap (copydot) Resolution: 2400 DPI
- DCS 2 (should be made with raster or screen
bitmap data, i.e. not just pages in Quark saved as DCS 2)
Desktop Element Formats
- Images/Scans - TIFF, EPS, or Scitex
- Fonts - PostScript Type 1 fonts only
- Include all fonts (printer and screen
fonts). DO NOT use Multiple Master fonts or True Type fonts.
- Logos/Artwork - EPS
- Continuous tone rastered images should be
2x the linescreen or greater (300 or greater is hi-res for 150
- Bitmap files should be at 1000 DPI or
- TIFF or EPS between 200 and 400 DPI
- Build pages to trim size and extend bleed
beyond page edge to at least 1/8" minimum.
- Specify a "live area" where all required information needs to
fit to ensure nothing gets trimmed in production (3/16" inside
- Do not stylize fonts from layout
application such as making the type bold or italic. While the
appearance of the font will look good on the screen, what prints
will be the unstylized font.
- All elements must be at 100% size. Scale
images outside the page layout program.
- Rotation and cropping of images in layout
program should be avoided.
- If any solid black type or solid black type
boxes are needed to knock-out of a background, a separate color
should be created in the applications color palette with the
following tint values assigned to it: 100% black, .25% cyan, .25%
magenta, .25% yellow.
- Include all fonts, images/scans,
- Do not nest EPS files in other EPS files.
- Do not compress any image files.
- All images/scans must be in CYMK mode for
- All images/scans must be in Grayscale mode
for B & W ads.
- all colors in the page layout program
should be changed to CYMK.
- Spot colors should be turned off except
when a spot color is required.
- Font information should include
manufacturer, font name and version.
- Four-color solids should not exceed SWOP
density of 300%
- Supply Quark "Collect for Output" or
- Supply one composite LW and CT per ad.
- Black text should be merged with the LW